problem running startx(Xorg 7.1)

Mughilan Ramajayam mughirp at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 18:11:05 PST 2006

That really helped us. Thanks a lot.

"R.L. Horn" <lists at eastcheap.org> wrote: On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Arun Raghavendra Murthy wrote:

> Hi All,
> I sucessfully cross compiled and installed X11R7.1
> Now i copied the installed files onto the target.I am getting the folloeing
> error on running startx.
> Any suggestion.........
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Arun Murthy
> X Window System Version 7.1.0
> Release Date: 22 May 2006

> (==) Log file: "/tmp/x7.1/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Nov  7 16:46:57

Where is X installed on the target system?

It looks as though you specified a temporary directory for the prefix and
later moved X elsewhare.

This is what the Developer's Guide seems to suggest.  Unfortunately, it's
just plain wrong.

The prefix should reflect where X will actually be installed.  DESTDIR is
used to install to temporary directories (i.e. make DESTDIR=[somethihg]
install).

Unfortunately, you can't readily use DESTDIR in building xorg since
"prefix" is hardcoded into the pkg-config files.  This is particularly
vexing when cross-compiling.

The easiest solution might be to install to something like
/usr/X11R7-[arch] or /opt/X11R7-[arch].  You can then point symlinks to it
on the target system as desired.

Another approach that just might work would be to set up an environment as
follows (let's assume X will be installed in /usr/X11R7):

     DESTDIR=[some temp dir]
     PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$DESTDIR/usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig
     ACLOCAL="alocal -I $DESTDIR/usr/X11R7/share/aclocal"
     PKG_CONFIG="my-pkg-config"

"my-pkg-config" is a shell script (maybe a bash script if "$?" isn't
universal):

     #! /bin/sh
     # Granted this looks odd, but we want the exit value to be that of
     # pkg-config, not sed.
     result=`pkg-config $@`
     retval=$?
     echo "$result" | sed "s,/usr/X11R7,$DESTDIR/usr/X11R7,g"
     exit $retval

Then build as normal, specifying /usr/X11R7 as prefix (and keep your
fingers crossed).  I tried it with the xclock source and the resultant
Makefile *looks* okay.