Dual-head setup

philn philn at telus.net
Wed Nov 8 19:06:25 PST 2006

Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> On 11/8/06, philn <philn at telus.net> wrote:
>> > I guess the next step is to see if you can get each head working
>> > individually.  Ie. edit the ServerLayout section to only refer to
>> > "Screen 1", test, then change to "Screen 2" and test again.
>> > That way we can see if it is due to a particular card, or the
>> > combination of both.
>>
>> I hashed-out the "Screen 2" line in the ServerLayout section then ran
>> startx - that appeared to work as expected. Then I changed "Screen 1" to
>> "Screen 2" and ran startx - that resulted in the RIVA TNT boot message
>> being displayed on the "Other" monitor (the one attached to the intel
>> video out) for a moment then the system froze with 2 blank, black
>> screens.
>
> I'm assuming you're using the xorg.conf that Chris Debenham provided a
> couple posts back,

yes

  and that lspci shows 00:02:00 -> intel card and
> 02:09:00 -> nvidia card, as in another post. In that case, for the
> "Screen 2" test you get:
>
> (II) I810: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810, i810-dc100,
>       i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G, E7221 (i915),
>       915GM, 945G, 945GM
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 02:09:0
> (--) Chipset i815 found
>
> AHA!! and later on we see:
>
> (II) I810(0): initializing int10
> (II) I810(0): VESA BIOS detected
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 4096 kB
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM: NVidia
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 2.5
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: NVidia Corporation
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: Riva TNT
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Chip Rev B1
>
> which is fubar and all sorts of wrong!! the i810 driver should be
> binding to device 00:02:00 (the intel card), but it's grabbing the
> primary device instead.
>
> I recommend you upgrade your Xorg server to the newest suse xorg
> package you can get your hands on, and see if starting screen 2 still
> starts the i810 driver on the riva card. If this bug ain't fixed in
> later versions, someone more knowledgable than me needs to look at why
> that happens in the i810 driver code.
>
>> I have attached the xorg.0.log file for the failed Screen 2 attempt and
>> the xorg.0.log.old file for the successful Screen 1 test.
>
> Your attachments are inline and so it's hard to tell which is which.
> Proper mime attachments, or better yet posting links to files is
> appreciated!
>
> -Kacper

OK. Thanks very much - I'll follow that up and post the results in a day
or two. This is a very recent network (internet) install - three to four
weeks so it's not like ancient, but I'll check it out and see if there
is anything newer on their site.

BTW I'm not too sure what you mean by 'proper mime attachments'; I use
Thunderbird on windoze (as it has two heads) and just clicked attach and
attach. But anyway I should be able to put things up on my web site in
the future if needed.

phil