Xt translated labels ?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Nov 7 20:45:22 PST 2006

Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > The default search path for app-defaults (and similar) files is:
> >
> > 	/usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:\
> > 	/usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:\
> > 	/usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:\
> > 	/usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:\
> > 	/usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:\
> > 	/usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%S
> >
> > Note that the application will only use the first matching file,
>
> We have a problem with this default: this is not sufficient, it should
> also include %l_%t.%c, %l.%c and %l_%t between %L and %l.

%L is equivalent to %l_%t.%c. At least, in practice; the Intrinsics
documentation states that the parsing of a language specification into
the language, territory and codeset parts is implementation-dependent.
If the implementation uses the %l_%t.%c syntax, then %l_%t.%c and %L
are equivalent; if it uses some other syntax, then %l_%t.%c isn't
appropriate.

You can always override the search path via $XFILESEARCHPATH
(similarly, $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH for per-user files). Alternatively,
for cases where you have the intermediate %l.%c or %l_%t forms, you
can always add "stub" files under %L which simply #include the more
general versions.