i965 textured video crash

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Nov 7 07:56:29 PST 2006

Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Nov 06, 06 07:22:16 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 09:42 +0100, Luca Dionisi wrote:
>>> Precisely, these sentences from opensuse site:
>>>     *  Driver has neither pBuffer nor FBO support. When using a
>>> composite manager all windows are rendered in software and only
>>> compositing is hardware accelerated. Astonishingly, this works well
>>> enough for most use cases. FBO support is supposed to be added to the
>>> driver in the near future.
>> That's not accurate though; we render in hardware, but to transform from
>> 2D pixmap to 3D texture requires a copy through the CPU, which is of
>> course ridiculous. Fixing that will be much easier when we have a memory
>> manager shared between 2D and 3D, which is about the same time as we get
>> FBO support.
>
> Last time I checked (some time ago) I couldn't get pBuffer of FBO
> extensions. Maybe that changed?

We just merged our new memory manager to the trunk.  Currently supports
i915/i945 only, but provides FBO support on that hardware, along with
numerous other goodies, like dynamically mapping textures into and out
of agp/gart (multi-gig texture memory anyone?), PBO texture uploads,
accelerated read/drawpixels, accelerated copytexsubimage, and even
direct (zero copy) texturing from PBO's.

If someone was interested, porting the i965 over shouldn't be a huge
task as it is already based on a "half-way" implementation of the memory
manager.  You'd be able to do proper VBOs as a bonus.

Keith

Keith