855GM vga out 1680x1050 does not work (i810 driver)

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Nov 6 16:29:01 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 20:11 +0100, Tero Laitinen wrote:
> [...]
> really ugly because of the skewed aspect ratio and stretched image. I
> would really like to enjoy every pixel on the screen.
>
> First, I tried just adding a line
>
> Modes "1680x1050"
>
> to the section "Screen" of the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf but the result
> was a text "Input Not Supported" floating in the screen. I tried adding
> a modeline based on the Xorg's log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
>
> (II) I810(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
> (II) I810(0): clock: 146.2 MHz   Image Size:  473 x 296 mm
> (II) I810(0): h_active: 1680  h_sync: 1784  h_sync_end 1960 h_blank_end
> 2240 h_border: 0
> (II) I810(0): v_active: 1050  v_sync: 1053  v_sync_end 1059 v_blanking:
> 1089 v_border: 0
> (II) I810(0): Ranges: V min: 56  V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30  H max: 82
> kHz, PixClock max 210 MHz
>
> Unfortunately, that did not help. I saved Xorg's log file of that try
> to http://www.iki.fi/tol/xlogi1.txt . I googled a bit and found out
> that VBIOS of my display adapter does not know anything about the
> resolution 1680x1050. As apparently i810 driver uses BIOS calls to
> change the resolution of the adapter, it needs the resolution to be
> listed in VBIOS if I understood correctly.
>
> I found a utility called 915resolution which can overwrite useless
> modes with different resolutions. The programs finds following video
> modes by default:
>
> Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.2
>
> Chipset: 855GM
> BIOS: TYPE 2
> Mode Table Offset: $C0000 + $36f
> Mode Table Entries: 21
>
> Mode 30 : 640x480, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 32 : 800x600, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 34 : 1024x768, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 38 : 1280x1024, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 3a : 1600x1200, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 3c : 1920x1440, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 41 : 640x480, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 43 : 800x600, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 45 : 1024x768, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 49 : 1280x1024, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 4b : 1600x1200, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 4d : 1920x1440, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 50 : 640x480, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 52 : 800x600, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 54 : 1024x768, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 58 : 1280x1024, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 5a : 1600x1200, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 5c : 1920x1440, 32 bits/pixel
> Mode 7c : 1024x600, 8 bits/pixel
> Mode 7d : 1024x600, 16 bits/pixel
> Mode 7e : 1024x600, 32 bits/pixel
>
> I tried overwriting mode 50 with command 915resolution 50 1680 1050.
> The command succeeds and after that the resolution 1680x1050 appears in
> the list. I tried to start Xorg but this time the result was different.
> A text "No Signal" was shown in the screen.
> I saved Xorg's log file to http://www.iki.fi/tol/xlogi2.txt
>
> I upgraded the kernel to newest 2.6.18.2 just in case it might help but
> of course it did not.
>
> My Xorg's configuration file is at http://www.iki.fi/tol/xorg.conf.txt
> My display adapter's name is "Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated

The modesetting branch of xf86-video-intel is where development is being
done to fix this and many other issues.  However, it's rather unstable
at the moment, so expect issues if you try it.

> As Windows drivers can make it work, I am sure that it is possible  :) .
> I wanted to try Intel's drivers but the git repository was down at the
> moment:
>
> $ git-clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
> fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)

I just cloned that repository, so it appears to be a problem with your
network connection, since I haven't heard any other complaints about
anongit being down..

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com