Instability of Xvfb in RHEL4-U2 on x86_64

Martin Knoblauch spamtrap at knobisoft.de
Mon Nov 6 13:54:43 PST 2006

Hi,

 while I know that I should also ask at RH, maybe someone can give some
hints into it.

 For years we are using Xvfb to to batch rendering of 3D images and
movies for CAE simulation. Out platform was i686 dual CPU machines with
RH9 and Xfree. Everything was great and stable.

 Now we moved to EM64T based boxes (HP/Proliant DL380g4) with RHEL4-U2
and xorg-6.8.2. Unfortunatelly Xvfb now permanetly throws segfaults and
dies. It seems that this happens when more than one process is
frendering into the framebuffer.

 Has anybody else experienced this? Or are there any hints on how to
debug the problem? The exact version of xorg is:

xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.2-1.EL.13.25.1

 There is a newer version (13.37), but it does not solve the problem.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Martin
PS: Please CC on reply, as I am only reading the digest of this list