HD with Xvideo on i915GM (i810 driver)

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:29:01 PST 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 14:07, galenz at zinkconsulting.com wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 15:00 -0500, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> >> There are some issues with XvMC in general, especially in open source
> >> drivers,
> >> because of the minefield that is otherwise known as multimedia
> >> patents. It's
> >> hard to implement this stuff fully without infringing on at least
> >> some
> >> patents, from what I understand.
> >
> > _Releasing the docs_ on the MC part wouldn't infringe any patents?
> >
> > --
> > -Tor
>
> I don't think you can infringe on a patent simply by writing about it.

Part of the issue, at least in the ATI-nVidia world, is that the hardware
itself infringes on some patents and releasing docs and/or source code (for
that part of the chip) would advertise to the patent holder that there was
infringement. I don't think that this is the case with Intel, however,
because they release open source drivers that are planned to be fully
functional (minus some patented texture compression and some other minor
details, I think) that they make no attempt to obfuscate.

> -Galen

Andrew Barr

Men go crazy in congregations they only get better one by one.
	-- Sting, "All This Time" (The Soul Cages, 1991)