i965 textured video crash

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Nov 6 07:22:16 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 09:42 +0100, Luca Dionisi wrote:

> Precisely, these sentences from opensuse site:
>     *  Driver has neither pBuffer nor FBO support. When using a
> composite manager all windows are rendered in software and only
> compositing is hardware accelerated. Astonishingly, this works well
> enough for most use cases. FBO support is supposed to be added to the
> driver in the near future.

That's not accurate though; we render in hardware, but to transform from
2D pixmap to 3D texture requires a copy through the CPU, which is of
course ridiculous. Fixing that will be much easier when we have a memory
manager shared between 2D and 3D, which is about the same time as we get
FBO support.

>     * XVideo YV12 surfaces are hardware accelerated (when no composite
> manager is used or for fullscreen unredirected windows), but due to a
> bug in the driver the video will miss one of the color channels,
> leading to false greenish/purple colors. This has to be investigated.

I've never seen this myself and I'm not sure what it means.

keith.packard at intel.com