i810 dual screen no Xinerama & DRI

Mark Beierl mbeierl at signiant.com
Mon Nov 6 06:44:38 PST 2006

Colin,

I found it hard to discover information on merged framebuffer for the
i810.  What I did get was some help from Alan Hourihane that the i810
works similarly to the ATI driver options on mergedfb.  Except the
options are named differently.  I found that out by looking at the
source code.

So, first things:  what version of i810 are you using?  I think mergedfb
is a later feature.  I have it in 1.6.5 at least.

There is only one screen section listed as only one screen is really
defined for X.  The second is defined via options to the driver:

        Option  "SecondPosition"                "RightOf"
        Option  "SecondMonitorHorizSync"        "30-81"
        Option  "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"      "56-76"

The "size" of the second screen is defined via "meta modes."  These are
the equivalent of the viewport, but can span more than 2048 in
horizontal size.  I still have not got to the bottom of why I can't have
a viewport wider than 2048, but this sidesteps the issue.

        Option  "MetaModes"                     "1280x800-1280x1024
1280x800-1024x768"
=> Screen 0 = 1280x800, Screen 1 = 1280x1024

Now for the "sore toes."  Apparently there are issues with mergedfb and
console switching that causes the i810 driver to lose its mind.  Alan
has offered to help debug it, but I am still in the process of getting
set up with a > 1.7 version of the i810 driver - I'm still learning the
requirements for compilation :)

So, here's the latest incarnation of my xorg.conf file:

=============================
Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath
"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics
Controller"
        Driver          "i810"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"

        VideoRam        65536

        Option  "DRI"                           "true"
        Option  "MergedFB"                      "true"
        Option  "MonitorLayout"                 "CRT,LFP"

        Option  "SecondPosition"                "RightOf"
        Option  "MetaModes"                     "1280x800-1280x1024
1280x800-1024x768"
        Option  "SecondMonitorHorizSync"        "31-81"
        Option  "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"      "56-76"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync 30-81
        VertRefresh 56-76
        DisplaySize 700 350
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics
Controller"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"