i965 textured video crash

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 00:42:07 PST 2006

On 11/5/06, Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure you have DRI enabled? I don't know if textured video will even
> work without DRI but I suppose you might be using software rendering.

Yes. DRI is enabled.

> I have never been able to get Compiz to work on my G965 system. What xserver
> and mesa versions are you using? Are you using Xgl or AIGLX?

I tried 3d effects on fedora. Now I don't know for sure, but I suppose
it is Xgl.
I will double check later.

On 11/5/06, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> When running compiz, things will slow down; we don't yet have an
> efficient mechanism for transferring data from the window pixmap to the
> texture. I'm a bit surprised that it paints in the wrong place though;
> that "shouldn't" be possible. I haven't tried it recently though.
>
> Performance can be improved; the pixel shader program that we wrote has
> some obvious areas for performance improvement. Plus, it would be fun to
> have it use a longer filter, which should improve appearance compared to
> the simple bi-linear interpolation it is doing today.

Somewhere I read that the driver has no support for FBO nor pBuffer.
Maybe FBO in the future.
Are you talking about this thing, here?

Precisely, these sentences from opensuse site:
    *  Driver has neither pBuffer nor FBO support. When using a
composite manager all windows are rendered in software and only
compositing is hardware accelerated. Astonishingly, this works well
enough for most use cases. FBO support is supposed to be added to the
driver in the near future.
    * XVideo YV12 surfaces are hardware accelerated (when no composite
manager is used or for fullscreen unredirected windows), but due to a
bug in the driver the video will miss one of the color channels,
leading to false greenish/purple colors. This has to be investigated.

Are these sentences still valid?

--Luca