HD with Xvideo on i915GM (i810 driver)

Anders Johansson ajh at watri.org.au
Sun Nov 5 18:01:35 PST 2006

Hi,

> Just doing a quick search before I throw down a couple hundred bucks :)
>
> To recap:
>
> The 915GM chipset is capable of displaying full resolution HDTV
> (1080i) using hardware acceleration (so a 1.5Ghz Pentium M should
> suffice) using the latest and greatest driver from git (running
> Gentoo)?  The board I'm looking at:
> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/410
> Has Svideo, Composite and Component (as well as VGA) included with
> it, an added bonus I can pick up:
> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/457
> To add DVI as well.  I'm hoping to be able to output HDTV over any of
> those interfaces (though I definitely understand that Composite/S-Vid
> isn't capable of displaying HDTV, but hoping that the hardware will
> simply down res without any user interaction) using MythTV as well
> as Xine and/or Mplayer.
>
> So, is this a pipe dream, or should this work?
>
> Any info is much appreciated!

I have a AOpen i915GMm-HFS motherboard with a 1.8GHz Pentium M CPU
running Debian Sarge standard install with Mythtv from the
debian-multimedia repository. Attempting to playback HDTV results in
severe frame dropping and for me the Xv acceleration does not work
(blue lines across the screen, probably old driver, not sure), so the
CPU has to do all the work. The only solution I can find that works
now (and allows me to keep my main board) is to get an NVIDIA card and
use the closed source drivers. Another thing to keep in mind is the
quality of the image processing, have a look at this article:

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9nY2pqZA/ATI_and_nVidia_crush__2000_DVD_players/

Then off course you need $8000 to buy a screen that can actually
display the image ;).

Cheers,
//Anders