Learning to write video drivers, resources

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Nov 3 11:39:14 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 04:26:40AM -0800, bloogity bloggity wrote:
> Would learning Xlib or XCB first help?

I'm a big fan of XCB :-) but no, for driver development you probably
won't find client-side X programming helpful. The DIX layer in the
server does most of the work needed to implement the X protocol, so
drivers only see some pretty basic operations.

You might like to look at the kdrive DDX though. I believe one of its
design goals was to be much simpler to write drivers for than the
XFree86 DDX.

More people doing X development == big win, so I hope you find the
resources you need to get started. If you can update the
xorg.freedesktop.org wiki with whatever you discover so other people can
take the same step, even better.

--Jamey