accessing CVS or GIT with ssh failed for me

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 2 11:30:36 PST 2006

Here is an example of how I have successfully used git (but note that I
haven't tried this in several months):

git-clone git+ssh://deronj@git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/proto/compositeproto

Also note that it is vital to set the following environment variable
in your environment (although you can also supply this on the git
command line):

setenv GIT_EXEC_PATH <where you have installed git>/git

Also make sure that you can ping git.freedesktop.org. If you can't then
you may have a name resolution problem.