[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-vmware 10.14.0

Philip Langdale plangdale at vmware.com
Thu Nov 2 10:14:31 PST 2006

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Philip Langdale wrote:
>> Add Xinerama support.
>
> How on earth does that work??? My head has just exploded trying to thing
> about how that would look practically!! :D

Heh. Indeed. There are two types of xinerama support in there. One is
completely static, where a given topology will always be used, regardless
of the virtual screen dimensions. This is designed for cases where the user
just wants to set it up once and then leave their VM in some fullscreen
state and never change it - presumably, the topology the specify will have
some logical relationship to their host state.

The other type is dynamic and uses a custom protocol to send updated topologies
to the driver (this will be unnecessary eventually because of randr 1.2, but we
need to support older version of Xorg). This will be used in future products
to send sensible topologies based on the fullscreen state of the window. So
you could imagine having a VM fullscreen on one head, and then changing it to
two heads, and the updated topology would be sent over.

Obviously, there are a lot of other moving parts in this dynamic experience,
but I've included a simple sample client in the driver tarball.

--phil