accessing CVS or GIT with ssh failed for me

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Nov 1 16:34:07 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 11:03:59PM +0000, Amir Bukhari wrote:
> all the time I have used eclipse CVS support to handle xserver sources. we
> in LG3D have not moved to GIT now, but we plan this soon.
> with eclipse i can connect to pdx.freedesktop.org using eclipse extssh
> method. it ask me only for "Enter passphrase for key
> '/home/bukhari/.ssh/id_dsa'" and this work.
> now when I try by using normal cvs command or try use git clone I got
> allways this message at  the end:
> -----
> Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
> fatal: unexpected EOF
> fetch-pack from 'git+ssh://amirbukhari@git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver'
> failed
>
> -----
> first ssh ask for passphrase, but it ask 3 times, then ask for passowrd!!!!
> and then failed
>
> I still can access CVS using eclipse extssh method. it means that my id_dsa
> is correct.
>
> did someone know the reason?
>
> it maybe in the ssh server version on the xorg is not compatible with ssh on
> my system!!
>
> my ssh version is:
> OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-5, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006

It probably means that you're only attempting to send an SSH key to
pdx.freedesktop.org (which is outdated, and should be
cvs.freedesktop.org), and not git.freedesktop.org.

Either that, or you put an SSH key manually in gabe, and not through the
mail interface to LDAP, and need to read
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountMaintenance.

Cheers,
Daniel