PCI-E card with two dvi outputs with FOSS drivers

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat May 27 10:35:25 PDT 2006

Le samedi 27 mai 2006 à 18:01 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
> Le samedi 27 mai 2006 à 17:31 +0200, Peter Zijlstra a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 14:53 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > > 6. a PCIE card + a PCI card ?????
> > >    can anyone confirm ?
> > >    will eat another PCI slot and the PSU will suffer
> > >    what chipset/drivers can be mixed ?
> > >    is DVI supported by FOSS drivers on ATI 92?0 PCI cards ?
> > >
> > 6. should work for any PCI/AGP/PCIe card combination; both xinerama and
> > old style multi-head. Although I haven't tested with PCIe for lack of
> > having it, I've ran pretty much all other configurations with a scala of
> > cards: Matrox G400 (agp), Matrox Millenium II PCI, Radeon 7500 PCI/AGP,
> > Radeon 9200 AGP, NVidiot something AGP, i815 AGP.
>
> I'll do a 7600 GS PCIE + 9250SE PCI then thank you for the confirmation.
> Should be cheaper then a passive X8?0 PCIE even (but I'll miss my PCI
> port - hope someone releases PCIE-1 cards soon, I have two empty PCIE-1
> slots on this board)

End result : the new main PCIE board is much nicer, the optional PCI
board is a disaster - BIOS won't finish loading when it's plugged in the
motherboard (with or without other cards)

Seems either my PCI sample is faulty or BIOS writers do not bother
testing PCI GFX cards anymore (and why should they - almost every modern
GFX card is dual-head nowadays, shame FOSS drivers do not support any of
them)

--
Nicolas Mailhot