Semi-modular package proposal

Mr E_T troll at arach.net.au
Tue May 23 20:00:52 PDT 2006

If I was to write a set of configure/setup scripts for xorg to
provide a set of "semi-modular" packages as well as the full modular packages,
how would this be received?

I propose that

  (libz, expat fontconfig freetype libdrm would be built first)
proto and libs be packeged as - XorgLibs
  (Mesa would be built now)
apps and data as - XorgApps
xserver and drivers as - XorgServer
fonts as XorgFonts
util as XorgUtil
doc as XorgDoc

with a single configure for each.
These would not conflict in any way with the individual approach
eg. you could build the libs as a single package and then install the apps individually.

I would be willing to write the initial configure/Makefile/autogen.sh for each package.

I feel that you would gain a greater amount of users using this appraoch as they would
then have a choice about which way to go whith their install's.

Not every one uses distros.

Thanx.
--
regs MR E_T