How to manage 2 memory areas for offscreen allocations?

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue May 23 00:19:04 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 14:02 -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>
> > Hence, I have two pools for offscreen memory: the internal (and faster)
> > 384KB and the external 2MB (less the visible framebuffer area).
> > Since fbdev uses external memory, kdrive offscreen allocation routines
> > take external memory into consideration.  The faster 384KB of faster
> > internal memory are not used at all.
>
> Conceptually, how is this different from PCs with on-card and AGP
> memory?  It /sounds/ similar (of course you can't display from AGP, but
> still), so you should be able to manage it similarly.  Have I missed
> some important detail?

It's not terribly different (with the exception that AGP tends to not
work for CARD->AGP transfers, as far as I'm told).

Some nice system for multiple offscreen memory regions is definitely
desired, but hasn't been written yet.  I can definitely say that I'd be
interested in seeing it happen for EXA.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com