Xlib: resource ID allocation space exhausted!

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon May 22 11:26:36 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:22:23AM +0200, Wojciech Kromer wrote:
> I have simple gtk+ program (included).
> It fails with "Xlib: resource ID allocation space exhausted!" just next
> to x-error.
>
> I have two machines called A and  B
>
> - it fails after aprox 420 000 refreshes (1.5 hours) when displayed on B
> machine,
>    but run on A or B (does not matter)
> - it runs when displayed on A machine (run on A or B)

I'd say that server A is configured to load the XC-MISC extension, and
server B isn't. You can confirm this by running xdpyinfo against both
servers and looking at the list of extensions at the beginning. I think
you need this line in your xorg.conf file, in the "Module" section:
	Load  "extmod"

Arguably there's a Gtk+ bug here, in that it doesn't seem like changing
the text on a label ought to allocate any new XIDs. If I've done my math
right, Gtk+ is allocating about five XIDs per call to your timer
callback, and issuing about 50 X requests. That seems excessive, but I'm
no Gtk+ expert. You might find that the variant without HTML is more
efficient on both XID allocations and X requests.

By the way, I've attached a small test program that should demonstrate
the same XID allocation issue in a few seconds, using Xlib internal
APIs. I had need of this recently. :-)

--Jamey