window manager startup problem

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu May 18 02:43:33 PDT 2006

Paul Kaplan, le Thu 18 May 2006 05:34:10 -0400, a écrit :
> I'm trying to start icewm on a second console (opensuse 10.1) w/ the command
> startx -icewm --:1 and I'm met with the following error:

man startx says to read man xinit, which says "Both the client program
name and the server program name must begin with a slash (/) or a period
(.). Otherwise, they are treated as an arguments to be appended to their
respective startup lines. "

So you probably wanted to run

startx /usr/bin/icewm -- :1

> waiting for X server to shutdown FreeFontPath: FPE
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

This is _not_ the error. See earlier messages in the backlog.

Samuel