Graphics Driver Frameworks and Security

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed May 17 09:38:28 PDT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Alan Cox wrote:

> I think you need to look at the X code not random peoples rants. X.org
> does not require direct access to hardware, that's just the way some of
> the drivers have been written.  Its really up to the driver author and
> the kernel folks how they decide to implement it and the X.org tree
> contains examples of both methods.

Will Xorg provide a list of the drivers that do not require direct access
to hardware?

(Maybe wfsb for OpenBSD and NetBSD? fbdev for Linux?)

And can someone provide (or point to) examples and documentation for
implementing without direct access to hardware?

It would be nice to be able to say: "use driver/xf86-video-foobar ... it
has limited features but does not require direct access to hardware".

 Jeremy C. Reed