Graphics Driver Frameworks and Security

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Mon May 15 22:24:21 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:36:01PM +0800, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> On 5/16/06, olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net <olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >For those who haven't seen it yet, there is a nice new flame by Theo de
> >Raadt:
> >
> >   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=114738577123893
> >
> >While I don't like Theo's tone and assigning blame etc., on the actual
> >issue I couldn't agree more.
> >
> >There are a lot more reasons why the KGI approach makes a lot of sense,
> >but IMHO the security issue is a very convincing one by itself...
> >
> >-antrik-
>
> Is the openbsd project aware of kgi? And does it work with openbsd?

Driver frameworks are all good and well, people talk about them all the
time. But you need to have drivers for a framework to be valid.

X has drivers, and a nice framework, albeit one dated 1996. The only way
that framework will ever change is by changing all the drivers.

If you want to be valid and want to be talking frameworks then you
better start writing or rewriting drivers first, from whichever angle
you're approaching the problem.

Luc Verhaegen.