[Xorg]Bug with fglrx driver for ATI Radeon X300 SE (RV370) video card

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon May 15 11:41:51 PDT 2006

Daniel Moyne wrote:
> Here are some information on my DRI problem on the following hardware
>  :
>
> machine : x86_64 (AMD 64 bits) ATI Radeon X300 SE (RV370) video card
>
> a) distribution : Dapper Drake LTS 64 bits
>
> kernel : 2.6.15-22-amd64-k8
>
> I am using "fglrx" driver for my video card ATI Radeon X300 as "ati"
> driver has never worked
While noone here can help with fglrx-specific problems, the ati driver
should work. The ati driver wrapper might cause problems, try using
"radeon" instead. This is xorg 7.0, right? There are a few chipids it
does not recognize (see the xorg log file), in this case you can force
another one (put 'ChipID 0x5b60' for instance into the device section).
For DRI to work though you are likely to need a newer xorg version (cvs
or some 7.1 rc) as well as a newer drm (either from kernel 2.6.17 (rc)
or from cvs), not to mention you'd really want a newer Mesa/dri driver
as well. (Unfortunately, you can't just change fglrx to radeon and vice
versa in the xorg.conf file, you'd need to swap out the libGL.so as well
as ATI insists on providing their own for some strange reason.)

> - when using "fgl_glxgears" I collect the following error message as
> the app is crashing :
>
> "Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer Exception en point flottant"
>
> - when using "glxinfo" I get the following :
>
> name of display: :0.0 display: :0  screen: 0 direct rendering: Yes
> server glx vendor string: SGI server glx version string: 1.2 server
> glx extensions: .................
>
> - when using "glxgears" the video animation is apparently running
> well until an unexpected interruption freezes the display for a very
> short while before the display resumes normal behaviour and then
> freezing display problem back !
>
> b) distribution :  Breezy 64 bits kernel : 2.6.12-10-amd64-k8 and
> also with the "fglrx" driver which in this case is using an old
> "libdri.a" library as recommended by a user (on Dapper Drake LTS it
> is using "libdri.so" which might have a link to the bug ?).
libdri.so vs. libdri.a has to do how xorg is built (dlloader vs.
elfloader). Old versions used elfloader (the .a files), new versions
(6.9 and up) use dlloader (the .so files) (and yes, this means you need
a different fglrx driver).

> That is basically all I can tell for the time being ; any idea to get
>  a fix ? Thanks.
Try the rage3d linux forum for instance for help with fglrx, or upgrade
to the newest fglrx version if you're using an older version.

Roland