VIA driver: VideoRAM option

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Sun May 14 16:51:03 PDT 2006

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 07:33:31PM -0400, Gregoire Gentil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to change the Video Ram size on my Linux-Ubuntu
> configuration. But whatever I put in VideoRAM of the xorg.conf file, the
> video ram amount doesn't change and the report in /var/log/Xorg.0.log is
> always the same:
> (--) VIA(0): videoram = 4096k
>
> I'm running:
> Xserver-xorg-core		1.0.2-0ubuntu9
> xserver-xorg-driver-via	0.1.33.2-0ubuntu4
>
> Extract of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Via Teechnologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]
> integrated CastleRock graphics"
> 	Driver 	"via"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> 	VideoRAM	8192
> EndSection
>
> What should I do to put more video ram? I don't think that I have any
> BIOS limitation. My final objective is to run in 1280x1024 32 bit and
> the log file indicates that there is not enough video ram. It's the
> reason why I'm trying to play with the VideoRAM option.
>
> Thanks by advance,
>
> Gregoire

If you use the unichrome driver (from http://unichrome.sf.net/) then
your Video RAM will always be sized correctly, as that reads the FB
reserved size from the RAM controller directly.

If that still gives you only 4MB, then maybe 4MB is what your BIOS
thinks the FB size should be. If so, adjust your BIOS settings.

In the case of the unichrome driver, the VideoRAM option should really
get ignored for devices where i am poking the RAM controller directly
(which is both unichrome generations i claim support for).

Luc Verhaegen.