"crappy" driver

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Sun May 14 11:56:35 PDT 2006

Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Am Montag, 8. Mai 2006 22:39 schrieb Mark Rosenstand:
>
>> Since you're lucky enough to have a card supported by the open radeon
>> driver, you should really consider using that instead of the crappy
>> proprietary one.
>
> The "crappy" proprietary driver does Xv the way its meant to instead of
> looking like dithered 16bit like with a certain Xorg driver.
There was some code supposed to improve filtering quality when
downscaling in the radeon driver which caused quite visible bogus
interpolation when upscaling in some cases. I've disabled that code
since about two months, so if that's what you saw it should be fixed.
Other than that, I couldn't really see any difference between fglrx and
the radeon driver wrt xv, they even share the same bugs/limitation (for
instance that 1536 source width limitation with at least rv250)
sometimes. However, I believe newest fglrx driver now can do textured
video instead of using the hardware overlay, though I'd think picture
quality would not be better (might be worse in some cases). This should
get rid however of some chip limitations (should be able to support more
than one xv "overlay", should increase source size limit to 2048x2048 on
all supported chips).

Roland