Resizing and scrolling very slow when running a compositing manager

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Thu May 11 08:09:09 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Thursday 11 May 2006 15:34, Brian Paul wrote:

> Well, I often find myself resizing windows just a small amount (trying
> to squeeze a lot of xterms on my screen, ya know).  When resizing is
> sluggish, this simple task can become frustrating.  Rounding up the
> window size to 32 (or 64 or 128 or whatever you want) makes this
> noticably snappier/smoother.
>
> Like I said, I've actually done this in a project and it really does help.
>
> > Just allocating once the maximum size (i.e. the size when the mouse
> > cursor is at the bottom-right corner of the screen) seems a much better
> > strategy.
>
> I think that would work, but it also seems excessive.

In the "allocate some extreme maximum" approach I fear the handling
of other requests in the same time (new windows etc.) might become
quite complex due OutOfMemory just because of this one extreme
allocate for just the term or clock (whatever) is resized a bit.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://exactcode.de | http://t2-project.org | http://rebe.name