ButtonMapping for a 5-button mouse

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu May 11 07:50:44 PDT 2006

On May 10, 06 20:34:29 +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> No replies - so either I was asking in the wrong place, or this is

No, just being busy.

> something no-one has encountered before.  I suspect that the

That as well :)

> ButtonMapping code has some hard-coded limit on the number of buttons.

Yes, 30 buttons :-P

> This does basically what I want: the three main buttons are buttons 1, 2
> and 3, and the scroll wheel works.  It seems that this method doesn't
> allow you to have multiple physical buttons mapped to a single logical
> button.  Depressing the scroll wheel does nothing useful, but by adding
> this to xorg.conf:
>
> Option EmulateWheel true
> Option EmulateWheelButton 9
>
> dragging with the thumb button depressed also generates wheel events,
> which is useful.

You could also use this for x-Axis wheel movement. Note that you have to
change the button to 8 with my ButtonMapping (which is applied first,
before EmulateWheel).

> Entries for 10, 11, 12 and 13 seem to be necessary, though I'm not sure
> why.  Something thinks the mouse actually have 13 buttons.

A bug (I call it a bug, others might call it a feature) in xmodmap. Has
been fixed (changed) in the meantime.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __