State of the archive

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Thu May 11 02:19:38 PDT 2006

Adam Jackson writes:

 > > There was a cleanup process under way in the release directory on fd.o.
 > > With this pretty much completed we can start the mirroring process.
 > >
 > > This however is different from the 'who gets access to those machines?'
 > > question.
 > > The mirroring would remedy the problem of not having latest releases
 > > (especially security) available on the box - even without anyone needing
 > > to access the machines.
 >
 > Right.  My little outburst there was really asking why we don't even have a
 > bad temporary solution in place.  Obviously I have no desire to be the single
 > contact point for this, but I'm more than happy to get things moving.

I'm sure that this is what it will eventually become.
The others seem to be rather busy.

 > > We however need to resolve some other issue here: the machine is hosted
 > > in a machine room at MIT. Someone needs to make sure you have access to
 > > this location and that you are shown around so that you know the machine,
 > > the facilities and the location.
 > > This could best be done when putting the other machines sponsored by SUN
 > > in place as this may require more than one hand to manuver them around.
 >
 > I had once jokingly suggested that I walk down to MIT and determine their
 > physical location by wireless ethernet and ping time triangulation.

Only that it's unlikely that they run wireless.

 > I really want to see _something_ done before 7.1 release (May 19, for anyone
 > still not paying attention).  I've got some time I can devote to setup this
 > weekend, and racking in the Sun boxes would be an excellent start to that.

Most of it can be done by remote administration.
I don't want to interfer with the administrator as we do seem to
see some progress and we are close to an agreement how to organize
things (and even if we haven't convered completely we can still change
things - if we make sure that the changes are done in small steps to
not overburdeon our mirrors).
Maybe you want to contact the admin privately.

Cheers,
	Egbert.