xtrap utility

Jerry Hom jhom at research.rutgers.edu
Tue May 9 16:48:21 PDT 2006

Hello.  I'm new here and apologize if I'm asking a FAQ.  I searched
the archives and didn't find an answer.

I'm experimenting with the XTrap utility (xtrapout) to record a
session of my keyboard/mouse events.  I then use xtrapin to playback
the session.  However, I've noticed that the playback session requires
about twice the actual time.  That is, I can record a 10 minute
session of me using firefox; during playback, the session lasts about
20 minutes.  Is this normal?  Is there a reason why the performance
slows by roughly a factor of 2?

During playback, I also notice that keyboard events seem to be
buffered and then played back in bursts.  For example, if I typed 10
characters at 10 second intervals between characters starting at time
t=0, the playback might show all 10 characters at time t=100 instead
of each character at the appropriate time.  Does anyone know for
certain where the buffering is occurring?

I'd greatly appreciate any answers or leads to where I could find an
answer.  Thanks!

--
Jerry Hom