Ati Radeon 7000 / Dell PowerEdge 1850

Freaky freaky2000 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 07:42:01 PDT 2006

Hey there,

we're having issues with an Ati Radeon 7000 on a Dell PowerEdge 1850 with
Fedora Core 5 over the past week.

Last wednesday we started and after installation of Fedora Core 5 everything
appears fine (we have the same thing with Core 4 btw...) until we ran yum
update which updated the kernel amongst other things to 2.6.16-1.2096smp. As
we didn't run the older kernel for very long I can't say for sure, but I
think the problems all start after yum update.

The problem is that the system, atleast after the update, only comes up
about 1 in 5 boots. The rest of the time the screen goes blank when X gets
loaded. Most of the time we can't access it over the network either then.
Now with 2096smp I thought to have found a solution by getting the latest
xorg-x11-drv-ati from the development repository. Only now the kernel has
been updated to 2.6.16-1.2111smp and the trouble is back.

I've found problems with the radeon 7000 and smp kernels dating back from
2004. Is the same issue starting over and over again with newer kernels or
do I have to search for the problem elsewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated as these servers were supposed to go into
production last friday, but they aren't stable enough.

Regards