XVideo problems on Radeon 9800 PRO and DVI/component dongle

Matthew McLean surfer at yikes.com
Fri May 5 08:35:04 PDT 2006

Hello,
I have a 32-bit Gentoo/linux system that I set up recently as an
HTPC.  I've tried the 'fglrx' driver and I've tried the open source
xorg 'radeon' driver.

* with the fglrx driver... everything seems to work great, even
xvideo, but it will absolutely NOT work *at all* with my
DVI/component dongle, which ironically is sold by ATI.  Can't get a
desktop, 3d, 2d, nothing.  Can't even hook it up to my TV at all with
the component dongle.
* with the open source driver... opengl and 2d acceleration seem to
work fine (even though I know opengl is currently an issue).  but,
XVideo won't work *at all*.

Whenever I try to use mplayer with '-vo xv' all of the output from
mplayer looks normal, but then the screen just goes blank.  It's like
my TV is trying to lock onto the signal but can't.  Intermittently it
will lock onto the picture (which looks almost psychadelic because
it's mostly shades of pink), but most of the time it just sits there
with a blank screen.  Once I quit mplayer it goes back to my desktop
and everything is fine.  Alternatively, If I use '-vo x11' or '-vo
gl' everything looks OK.

Since most people it seems like can use Xvideo with the currenty open
source radeon driver I'm assuming this might be related to my
DVI/component dongle, but I have no idea why it matters.  The adapter
works fine in windows and I'm even using the same monitor timings
with my TV that ATI's windows driver used @ 1280x720p.  When I use a
normal DVI/vga adapter or just plug a normal computer screen into the
VGA port on the card, everything also works fine.

Is there more debug information I can provide to help track this down?

I'd rather use your radeon driver because a) it's open source and b)
I know I'll get a lot more help from you guys than from ATI... I just
know that I'm so close to having a usable HTPC system, but my xorg
issues are seriously holding me back.  Any help would definitely be
appreciated.  I'd really like to help get this fixed.  I have enough
knowledge that I can be helpful in fixing this and I'm willing to
devote some time to it if necessary.

Thanks,
Matt.

$ X -version

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-gentoo-r4 i686
Current Operating System: Linux HTPC 2.6.16-gentoo-r4 #31337 PREEMPT
Mon May 1 11:55:56 CDT 2006 i686
Build Date: 03 May 2006
         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present

(A.K.A.) Gentoo's version is 'xorg-server-1.0.2-r4'

I've attached my xorg.conf and Xorg.log files since they will tell a
lot about my system.