fbdev driver using 24b/px with framebuffer which is 32b/px

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu May 4 23:30:25 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 01:56 +0000, grfgguvf.29612406 at bloglines.com
wrote:

> The fbdev driver in Xorg (I tried 7) is using a 24b/px mode (24 is
> the maximum value for colour depth). The Linux framebuffer (I am using vesafb)
> however is using a 32b-aligned mode, and I couldn't find any way to set it
> to 24b aligned. So tring to use X on framebuffer in "16 million colours" mode
> results in garbled vertically shrunk display.

The number of bits occupied by each pixel is determined by the
DefaultFbBpp directive in the screen section or the -fbbpp command line
switch. There is a bug in fbdev(HW) though where it doesn't bail if the
requested and effective framebuffer device configuration don't match,
see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=338241 . Maybe you
can fix this? :)