Radeon driver, XAA & Monochrome Fonts

Andy hornett83 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 4 15:57:05 PDT 2006

 Hello list,

I have an "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02)".

I use Gnome and XAA. When I select 'Monochrome' rendering in the fonts app, certain words are missed out until you mouseover them.

Some screenies:
http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotfontpreferences3xt.png
http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=menu5xg.png
http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=geditmenu0sk.png

Using EXA fixes this, but is impossibly slow to use in a number of other areas.

Using Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" also fixes the issue, but seems to make things slower also.

Anybody have any ideas?

(I reported this on Ubuntu Malone, but have been told it is a corner case and that fixing it would most likely introduce regressions - note that this also happens with Xorg built from CVS)

Cheers!
Andy.