16:10 widescreen, 1440x900 resolution support

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu May 4 11:55:11 PDT 2006

Hello everyone.

I have an Acer AL1916W widescreen LCD monitor and an NVIDIA GeForce2
GTS/GeForce2 Pro video card, and I am trying to get the display
resolution correct on Fedora Core 4.

As I understand it, I have two driver options: the x.org drivers and the
Nvidia legacy drivers.

When using the x.org drivers and using the "System Settings -> Display"
control there is no option for 1440x900 resolution.  The closest is
1400x1050.  This works tolerably well, but the aspect ratio is not
exactly correct because the display is squished and stretched to fit the
visible screen correctly.  Also, this causes the image to not be as
crisp as I believe it should be, I think, as there seems to be portions
of the screen that are slightly fuzzy in comparison to others.  I
suspect that if the video resolution matched the display resolution that
there would be no patterns of slightly fuzziness on the LCD.

When using the Nvidia legacy drivers likewise there isn't an option for
1440x900, and (if I remember correctly) 1400x1050 is also the closest
match.  When using that driver that way the desktop actually then
becomes larger than the visible screen... and so I have to scroll the
window on the desktop display back and forth by moving the pointer to
the edges of the screen in order to scroll the image.  I didn't notice
any fuzziness this way, but the screen scrolling is entirely intolerable
in my opinion.

Is there a way to get true 1440x900 display resolution from the drivers
using this video card?  Or, do I need to get a different video card
hardware that supports that resolution natively?  And if that is the
case, how do you suggest I determine that support without actually
purchasing it and testing it?

Thanks,

Lee.