I can't start Gnome as normal user

Bilderbeek, Manuel manuel.bilderbeek at oce.com
Thu May 4 02:05:43 PDT 2006

Hi,

> I upgraded my debian distribution from Sarge stable to testing and
> everything works. Then I did it again and the process went fine. But
> this time I am no more able to start my X server. I commonly use gnome
> (now 2.14) and my xorg.conf works well. I read the log file, but any
> errors are reported.
> The exact problem is as follows: I give the command "startx" and the X
> server tries to start. I can see the first screen and after that my
> system blocks completely. I can't neither shift from one console to
> another. I am obliged to shut off the computer.
> I noticed that gnome starts if I log in as root user, while, being
> normal user, I am able to start Kde.
> I really can't understand where is the problem.
> I hope you can help me.

Isn't this a Debian issue? I had a similar problem the other day, which
is now posted here:

http://wiki.debian.org/StatusOfTesting

See the part about libxklavier10.
--
Kind regards,

Manuel Bilderbeek

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
Thank you for your cooperation.