Contributing to X

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon May 1 14:52:53 PDT 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 16:20, Meshach Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've been eyeing the progress of X/Xgl/Xegl et al for some time
> now and have decided to stop eyeng and start helping, if i can.
> So ... I heard somewhere that signing up to some lists would be
> a first step, but now what?

Read the code.  Find an area of X that you're interested in, and try to find
out which section of the code corresponds to that.  If you can't find it,
ask.  Once you find it, try to deduce what sort of drugs the original author
was on.

Read the docs.  The xorg-docs module contains many design documents and
protocol references, which are still applicable.  Various other docs are
scattered about in the source itself.

Write the docs.  You will inevitably find something that isn't explained as
well as you'd like.  Find out how it works (possibly by asking on the list)
and write up your findings.

Fix bugs.  Find a bug in bugzilla and see if you can't solve it.  Many
intro-level bugs are marked with the 'janitor' keyword in bz.

Tackle a project.  Many ideas for projects are listed on the wiki; start from
the SummerOfCodeIdeas page, for example.

Just some starting points.  There are assuredly others.

- ajax