State of the archive

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon May 1 08:04:20 PDT 2006

On Saturday 29 April 2006 15:56, Daniel Stone wrote:

> The response was that an X.Org machine would continue to serve
> ftp.x.org, and that annarchy's archive would be mirrored if it was only
> writable by a very small group ('xorg-release' was the strawman).  I
> don't believe that this is terribly useful: if you want to compromise
> code, it's infinitely easier to insert innocuous-looking rogue code[0]
> than to tarnish the archive.

And with the minor additional kung-fu of:

# find /srv/xorg.freedesktop.org/archive -type f -mmin +5 | xargs chattr +i

then as long as no one's upload stalls for more than 5 minutes at a time, you
get unrestricted uploads as long as you don't try to clobber an existing
file.

Group restrictions are completely bogus.

> It's also a system I believe is thoroughly unnecessary: if we look to
> GNOME and Debian as precedents of how to deal with modular development,
> no such gateway is imposed.  Ubuntu and Fedora have minor splits (the
> designation of 'core' vs. 'non-core' developers), but given the scale of
> the numbers involved, I don't think that's applicable.  I have to
> profess ignorance on how other projects work, bar KDE, which is
> essentially a monolithic project in disguise.

+1.

> My proposal is simple: have an rsync job mirroring
> xorg.freedesktop.org::xorg-archive to ftp.x.org.  This would remove the
> ugly dichotomy that exists between xorg.freedesktop.org and x.org in
> terms of releases.  (You can guess my thoughts on the website also, but
> that's another matter entirely ...)

I heartily endorse this event or product.

- ajax