releases vs. individual packages

samuel verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 00:59:02 PST 2006

Hello list,

Again $me the lunar-linux module/package maintainer..
This might have been handled already in the list somewhere but i
couldn't really find anything.

We are a bit confused with the release cycle of xorg7. On one hand you
seem to have x11r7.0 release
(http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.0/) with even mentions of
7.1 releases in which i find all packages available to build a working X
setup but on the other hand there is a directory on the servers with
"individual
releases"  (http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/).

As a distro we would like to know which we should follow? Are you
planning to have a regular release of xorg x11r7.x with snapshots of
what is available in the "individual directory" and should we follow
that main release cycle or should we as a distro follow the releases in
the "individual releases" ?
And if we follow the individual releases will they always be compatible
with what is available of released packages or is it possible that
we'll need to include cvs/svn stuff to make things work? We, as a
distro need to take a decision here and we would like to know a bit
what your thoughts of this are...

gr,S.