Radeon Xpress 200M not detecting external monitor

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Mar 28 15:26:48 PST 2006

I have an HP dv5000 laptop with a Radeon Xpress 200M video card, which has a VGA
port for an external monitor. When plugging in the external monitor, a Philips
Brilliance 200W6, the Radeon driver does not recognise it. Explicitly overriding
the auto-detection with Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,CRT" does not seem to help.

Failing to detect the monitor seems to mean that Xorg will not use it for
display; I am trying to use MergedFB to get dualheaded operation, but no valid
modes seem to be available for the external port.

(I've also filed a bug #6402, and attached my xorg.conf and Xorg.1.log
to that bug, but I can post them or any other information here if
that's useful.)

--
sil

<Cl0ckwork> i hate it when explorer crashes, losing my system tray,
and irc is minized to it
<slick> I hate when I kick a dog and then the owner see's me and I
have to kill him