Composite overlay window

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 28 13:31:09 PST 2006

Soeren Sandmann wrote On 03/24/06 09:02,:

> - If you run the attached program on a completely blank server,
>   nothing actually happens.
>
> - If you run it _again_ on the same server, it makes the screen
>   completely purple (as expected).

I can reproduce this, sort of. For me I never get the purple screen no
matter how many times I run it. I found that when I comment out the
XCompositeRedirectSubwindows it works. Obviously a bug. The
overlay window is supposed to be immune to composite redirection.

> - If you run it with an xterm running under twm, you get a purple
>   screen, except where the xterm was - in that rectangle you get the
>   weave pattern. Also, you can drag the xterm around, although the
>   overlay window is supposed to be a normal input-clipping window.

I cannot reproduce this problem. I am going to fix the other two bugs
and then ask you to try to reproduce this problem again.

> - The window does show up in the reply from QueryTree which it
>   shouldn't according to the spec that was posted.

I can reproduce this and it is indeed due to a missing commit in
dix/window.c. Thanks for sending the suggested fix. It's a bit cleaner
than the code I had.