xlib + xcms

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon Mar 27 17:47:39 PST 2006

* Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970 at gmail.com> schrieb:

<snip>

> There's plenty of functions in [g]libc that I'll probably never call.
> Most libraries above the level of libc will have plenty of functions
> in that I never call. Should they all be removed?

There's a difference between unused code in some shared library and
linked functions that don't actually get called.

Why should the compiler generate an reference to some function
which is never used ?

<snip>

> It's entirely possible for applications to have had code dealing with
> Xcms that just never got called. Entirely possible.

hmm, okay, *possible* that there's unused code referencing xcms, but
how probable is that ?

does anyone have some binaries referencing xcms stuff ?

<snip>

> > Could anyone, who has access to a lot of older applications do
> > an nm over them to see whether anyone links in these functions ?
>
>  And if they're statically linked? ;)

Then its irrelevant to us.

<snip>

> > Okay, we maybe have a little bit of code duplication with that,
>
> Doesn't this sorta invalidate the whole argument about slimming
> things down?

No. I'm thinking about optimized installations, not the source.
Code duplications in the source do not necessarily end up in
redundant binary code.

cu
	rsync://sources.metux.de/metux-patches