Xorg 7.0 and radeonfb - a no-go?

Jens Mayer mail at jensmayer.de
Sun Mar 26 03:08:54 PST 2006

Hi all,

recently I upgraded from the monolithic Xorg 6.8.2 build to Xorg 7.0, running
Gentoo GNU/Linux and using it's masked ebuilds.

While Xorg 6.8.2 worked rock solid in combination with the kernel's radeonfb
module for framebuffered virtual terminals, 7.0 doesn't - I get hard lockups
after a while, sometimes directly after starting X, sometimes a few minutes
later.

Disabling radeonfb or using vesafb-tng solves this problem, but leads to slow
or low resolution VTs. Is there something to take care of to have both
running simultaneous, or is this not possible at the moment?

I'm talking about the open source "radeon" driver with no DRM enabled. Kernel
is 2.6.14 with swsusp2 patch 2.2-rc14 running on a Thinkpad T41p (ATI Radeon
FireGL T2), most recent BIOS version.

Kind regards,
Jens

--
An optimist believes we live in the best world possible;
a pessimist fears this is true.