Composite overlay window

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Fri Mar 24 09:02:30 PST 2006

Deron Johnson <Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM> writes:

> James Jones wrote On 03/23/06 15:17,:
> > On Thursday 23 March 2006 03:14 pm, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
> > I believe the intended usage is to create a child window of the
> > composite overlay window with your favorite visual, then do your
> > compositing into that window.
>
> This is true. The recommended usage is to reparent a window of your own
> creation (and your own visual) to be a child of the overlay window.
> I just assigned the default visual to the overlay window because you
> need to use some visual when creating a window in the server. The
> overlay window is typically not rendered to directly. It's more of a
> container.

Yeah, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that you could create
a subwindow of the overlay window.

However, even if the overlay window itself is typically not rendered
to, it should still actually work, and it looks like that there are a
few problems with the current implementation as the attached prgoram
show. What the program does is:

* RedirectSubwindows on the root window

* Acquires an overlay window

* Paints the overlay window purple

But

- If you run the attached program on a completely blank server,
  nothing actually happens.

- If you run it _again_ on the same server, it makes the screen
  completely purple (as expected).

- If you run it with an xterm running under twm, you get a purple
  screen, except where the xterm was - in that rectangle you get the
  weave pattern. Also, you can drag the xterm around, although the
  overlay window is supposed to be a normal input-clipping window.

- The window does show up in the reply from QueryTree which it
  shouldn't according to the spec that was posted.

Soren