XGetImage problem...

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 24 06:29:33 PST 2006

Marcus Schäfer wrote:

> I asume the data I got from the XGetWindowProperty() call is
> far away from beeing a pixmap but it returend "Success"

That just means that it successfully retrieved the requested amount of
data from the specified property. It doesn't imply that the data is
"valid" in any way.

Properties are simply lists of 8, 16, or 32-bit values, along with an
associated type atom. When a property is set, nothing checks that the
data actually conforms to the format implied by the type atom. The
only type-checking involved is that XGetWindowProperty() will fail
unless the req_type argument either matches the property's type atom
or is AnyPropertyType.