Composite overlay window

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Mar 23 15:14:17 PST 2006

Hi,

I was discussing the new overlay window additions in composite with
Søren, and he pointed out that there is no way to specify the visual for
the overlay window:

	Window
	XCompositeGetOverlayWindow (Display *dpy, Window window);

	void
	XCompositeReleaseOverlayWindow (Display *dpy, Window window);

and reading the code, it turns out that it's just using the root visual.
  I was of the impression that one of the compelling arguments for going
with the overlay window approach was that you'd get to specify the
visual when creating the overlay window.

Should we add a visual argument to XCompositeGetOverlayWindow?  Also, it
looks like the only reason for passing in a window is to get at the
screen that window belongs to.  In that case, I think it would be
clearer to just pass in the screen number.

cheers,
Kristian