Updates to GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Thu Mar 23 10:21:50 PST 2006

On Thursday 23 March 2006 12:11 am, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Deron Johnson wrote:
> > James Jones wrote On 03/09/06 14:09,:
> >>    Rendering to the drawable, either using the GL or other
> >> means, while it is bound to a texture is not allowed.  It is
> >> the responsibility of the user to enforce this constraint.  If
> >> the drawable is rendered to while it is bound as a texture,
> >> the contents become undefined.
> >
> > This is very different from what we discussed at the X
> > developer's conference. I thought we agreed that rendering to a
> > drawable while it is being bound as a texture would be blocked,
> > and that the rendering would proceed as soon as the drawable
> > was unbound. The overall desired behave was to give the effect
> > of conceptually having bind make a copy of the texture.
>
> When I first stuck my nose into this discussion, I guess I didn't
> fully grok the interaction that was happening.  I've thought
> about this a bit more today, and the wording currently in the
> spec *and* the proposed behavior here are not feasable.

Ian, completely disallowing rendering is not the intention I had
when I wrote up that paragraph.  Did you see the updated version I
sent out in response to your original reply?  It should clear up
that discrepancy.  Rendering just results in the texture having
undefined content.

> Disallowing rendering while a drawable is bound to a texture
> would require one of the following scenarios.  Each is either
> undesirable or unimplementable.
>
> 1a. If a drawable is bound for drawing, generate an error at
> BindTexImage.  If a drawable is bound for texturing, generate an
> error at MakeCurrent.  This is doable, but requires some
> synchronization that may be difficult in the direct rendering
> case.  It is undesirable because the server will nearly always
> want to use the drawable for texturing when the application has
> it bound for drawing.
>
> 1b. If a drawable is bound for texturing (in any thread),
> generate an error at glBegin.  If I even have to explain why this
> would suck rocks...
>
> I'm not exactly sure what "rendering to a drawable while it is
> being bound as a texture would be blocked" means.  I assume that
> it means the drawable has an implicit read-write lock of sorts.
> My guess is that BindTexImage grabs the lock for reading, and
> glBegin grabs the lock for writing (or something morally
> equivalent).  This has problems of it's own.
>
> 2a. It would be easy to implement in the direct rendering case,
> but would add unnessary overhead when BindTexImage is never used.
>  Since this is by far the more common case, this seems like a
> poor trade off.
>
> 2b. The indirect rendering case just gets ugly.  The server would
> have to buffer commands from the client until the lock was
> released.  I don't think this is really any better than 1b above.
>
> 2c. Like 1a above, we could have the lock be acquired in
> MakeCurrent and BindTexImage.  However, this ends up having the
> same set of problems, except now the server could get blocked ad
> infinitum wanting for the client to unbind the drawab.e
>
> 2d. It seems like there's a possability for deadlock here, but I
> can't quite put my finger on it.

Right, and this still wouldn't be sufficient.  Since these drawables
can be rendered to by X, all types of rendering, not just GL
rendering, would need to be blocked.  Xlib clients, direct/indirect
GL clients, direct/indirect XvMC clients, etc.

Thanks,
-James Jones