xlib + xcms

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Mar 22 08:53:29 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 04:37:01PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> schrieb:
> > Or we can design new and better APIs for those parts of Xlib that
> > actually get used, and provide migration paths for existing code. That's
> > the goal of XCB (http://xcb.freedesktop.org/), and embedded systems are
> > certainly one of XCB's targets.
>
> ACK. Xlib itself should only contain things in the official X.org spec.
> Evrything else belongs into separate libs.

This is the Xlib spec:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/X11/include/Xlib.h?view=markup

There is no other 'official X.org spec' covering Xlib.  Removing
interfaces, or otherwise incompatibly changing them, requires an
soversion bump.  That's something that will get flatly rejected without
so much as a second look.  Think of the Xlib API as just like the wire
protocol.  You can extend it and build around, but you cannot (repeat:
not -- absolutely not) remove any part of it, or do anything that would
break old clients.