xf86PostKeyEvent and xf86PostKeyboardEvent

Andrew Zabolotny anpaza at mail.ru
Tue Mar 21 15:02:04 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:06:08 +0200
Daniel Stone <daniel at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> > work... For example, on the 'pad' tablet subdevice I don't have x/y/
> > pressure/xtilt/ytilt but for example I have a wheel... but I can't
> > define axis 5 without axes 0-4, so gtk applications are fooled into
> > thinking that 'pad' has valid x/y/pressure/tilt values.
> My current thoughts are to have an addendum to the spec that defines
> behaviours for certain device classes.  e.g. DEVICE_TOUCHSCREEN
> provides x data on axis 0, y data on axis 1, pressure data on axis 2.
Hmm, that would help as well, but what of the existing XI_XXX constants
should I use for tablet's pad, for example? The 'Pad' subdevice may
have lots of buttons, and also it may have one or two (or may be more?)
fingerstrips that can be used for scrolling and such. XI_KEYBOARD?
Keyboard doesn't have fingerstrips. XI_BUTTONBOX? What's a buttonbox?
XI_NINE_KNOB? Pretty descriptive :)

> The idea is that the current CorePointer/SendCoreEvents idiocy should
> go away, and instead you have virtual core devices that merely
> aggregate events from other devices (you can move devices in and out
> of core at runtime).
Wouldn't it be useful to have in-core event translation somewhere
here, as long as events flow from the device into the core? For example,
you could be able to assign arbitrary button or key events to any of
those nine knobs on that famous XI_NINE_KNOB device, then you would be
able to use it even with programs that don't support it? Something like
a extended xmodmap.

I'm adding this ability right now into the driver I'm modifying (e.g.
ability to emit either button or key events from any tablet button), but
what bugs me is that it isn't quite standard, and possibly looks like a
hack... while xmodmap is a standardized hack :)

--
Greetings,
   Andrew