xlib + xcms

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Mar 21 07:52:21 PST 2006

* Daniel Stone <daniel at freedesktop.org> schrieb:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:08:02PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > I've just noticed that there're a few packages, which require
> > XCMS in libX11 (in fact, just seen it @ cairo), but I normally
> > use to do minimal builds. My system image builder just builds
> > what really needed, based on its dependency information.
> > This introduces the problem of dependencies on imported
> > package's features - very, very tricky.
> >
> > I'd be happier if it was an separate library.
> >
> > Does the official standard the xcms stuff as part of libX11 ?
>
> You don't get to remove pieces of Xlib's API.  Full stop.

hmm, if the xcms stuff (also xkb, etc) is part of the official
specification, we probably could go some steps further, split off
xlib into smaller libs and pull them together to libX11.
Those applications who need the traditional interface, simply
continue to import libX11, but newer ones can import it piece
by piece.

Would be a nice thing for embedded systems.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de