[patch] abstract socket support for xtrans

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Mar 19 12:03:29 PST 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 05:34:12PM +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:
> On Sunday 19 March 2006 16:19, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >   * turns xtrans into a proper library. :)
>
> I'd love to. It just needs some design choices about how to handle e.g. the
> current special-casing of X11_t for converting the port number, and so on. I
> do *not* want to end up with an enumeration for the library that's calling
> into xtrans. There are some ugly tricks, like maybe testing to see if port
> number is less than 100 and adding 6000 to it, maybe.

I assume the release managers and distributions aren't opposed to
cross-module version build dependencies? I don't see any problem with
picking one common interface for xtrans and then fixing all the callers
to use it. You'll have to update them to quit #include-ing xtrans.c
anyway. :-)

My work will make all X11_t issues irrelevant anyway: libX11 will use
XCB in place of xtrans for the connection to the X server. (xtrans
continues to be used for XIM, but at least there's only one copy
compiled in instead of two...) But I think it's valuable to have xtrans
fixed up in the meantime.

--Jamey